This scholarship has been funded by ex-student Barbara Mary Nippress (1952) who suffered from Cerebral Palsy and attended Pymble. Undoubtedly a woman of great courage and determination, Barbara was involved in all aspects of College life including sport. Her intelligence and fierce independence helped her to achieve success in her life.
Barbara stated that her time at Pymble was the happiest of her life. Barbara remained in close contact with many ex-students and went on to study at University, and pursued her many and varied interests including painting (she had several successful exhibitions) bridge, music, theatre and as an active member of the National Trust. A strong communicator and keen traveller, Barbara lived life to the full and certainly lived up to the motto All’ Ultimo Lavoro – strive for the highest.
Her legacy is the Barbara Mary Nippress Memorial Scholarship. This scholarship is for a student with a physical disability who will commence in Year 7. Barbara generously left a bequest to the College to fully fund a scholarship for a girl in Year 7 through to Year 12.
Criteria and Steps to Apply
To be eligible for the scholarship, candidates must be able to demonstrate the following criteria:
- The student will commence in Year 7 as a Boarder or day girl.
- The student will have a physical disability restricting her in the use of her limbs.
- The student will have aspirations to pursue tertiary education.
- She will be attaining at least a ‘B’ in her academic studies.
- The student will be part of and subject to the normal processes of the College and will not require any specialised teaching or training programs as a result of her disability.
- Students must support their scholarship application with two references outlining their suitability for a scholarship at the College. The references must be completed by a teacher or the Principal at the student’s current school.
- Students must supply copies of the last two years of school reports.
- Students must submit a 300 to 500 word autobiographical essay indicating their special interests and the contribution they would make to the life of the College.
The Scholarship will include:
- Remission from tuition and boarding costs (if applicable) from Years 7 to 12.
The scholarship will be available to a student commencing in Year 7 2020 with registrations opening from the beginning of 2019.
For further information please contact Mrs Rebecca Pearce, Enrolments Manager 7-12, on (02) 9855 7799.