(Available for entry in Year 7 2021)
Pymble Ladies’ College offers a number of Performance Scholarships – Music providing full or part remission from academic tuition fees (excluding extras) to students entering Year 7. The awarding of scholarships is determined by an audition, results in the scholarship examination and successful interview.
Applicants for the 2021 Performance Scholarship – Music must sit the Academic Assessment Services examination on Saturday 19 October 2019. The scholarship examination will be held at the College or remotely (for country candidates and, in some cases, overseas candidates).
All applications for scholarship testing must be made online through Academic Assessment Services (AAS). Candidates must register first for the AAS Junior Academic Scholarship examination.
Once applications have been received, they will be assessed by the examining panel, who will then select candidates to audition. Please note that not all applicants for a Music Scholarship will be judged eligible for an audition. Music auditions for 2021 Scholarships will be held at the College on Saturday 26 October 2019.
The scholarship examination will be held at the College or remotely (for country candidates and, in some cases, for students living overseas).
Criteria and Steps to Apply
- Candidates are to be in Year 5 and less than 12 years of age on 31 December of the examination year.
- Successful candidates must commence in Year 7 2021 and will be expected to participate fully in the musical life of the College, including performing in appropriate musical ensembles.
- Candidates must submit a 300 to 500 word autobiographical essay indicating their special interests and the contribution they would make to the life of the College.
- Successful candidates will be required to take Music as an elective subject.
- The scholarship covers full or part remission of tuition fees (excluding extras) for six years. All other expenses are to be met at the full rate.
- Scholarships will be reviewed on an annual basis and it is the College’s expectation that students maintain their high performance levels and represent the College as and when requested.
- The College Council reserves the right to withdraw a scholarship from any scholarship holder.
- Candidates must have completed the following AMEB Grades or equivalent:
- AMEB Grade 5 (or equivalent) or above for piano.
- AMEB Grade 6 (or equivalent) or above for violin.
- AMEB Grade 3 (or equivalent) or above for other string instruments, flute, clarinet and saxophone.
- AMEB Grade 2 (or equivalent) or above for all other wind and brass instruments.
Your daughter must be suitably prepared for audition. She will be required to play two contrasting pieces; each piece no more than five minutes in length. The audition will also include aural tests (intervals, rhythm, triads and pitch) appropriate for her grade (AMEB standard), sight reading and singing unaccompanied to a short song of her choice (appropriate examples would be Advance Australia Fair, or an English/Australian folk song or nursery rhyme).
If your daughter is applying for a Year 7 2021 Performance Scholarship – Music, an additional form must be completed by you and your daughter’s music teacher. The form is available to download from this page and must be submitted to the College before Friday 11 October 2019.
Please ensure the music teacher emails their reference separately to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note Portfolios are due during the school holiday period. Late portfolios will not be accepted so ensure you have finalised the portfolio and teacher’s reference prior to the school holidays.
Portfolios are not returned to applicants so please provide copies of relevant documentation.
Applications for 2021 Scholarships: Applications are open.
Deadline for 2021 Scholarship Applications: Applications close on Friday 11 October 2019 or Friday 4 October 2019 if candidates are sitting the test remotely.
Your daughter’s supporting documentation, including the teacher’s reference must be submitted before Friday 11 October 2019 by post or delivered to College Reception (see note under ‘Supporting Documentation’ regarding the due date).