Available for entry in Year 7 2022.
Pymble Ladies’ College offers a number of Performance Scholarships – Music providing full or part remission from academic tuition fees (excluding extras) to students entering Year 7. The awarding of scholarships is determined by portfolio submission, an audition, results in the scholarship examination and successful interview.
Before registering to sit the scholarship examination candidates should submit a portfolio which includes the required supporting documentation (see the form at the end of this page). This will be assessed by the scholarship panel who will then select candidates to audition. Please note that not all applicants for a Music Scholarship will be judged eligible for an audition.
If your daughter is selected to audition you can then register her to sit the examination if you have not already done so. If your daughter is not selected for an audition and you are not applying for any other scholarships she is not required to sit the examination. We recommend waiting until after the Music Department has contacted you before you register for the exam. (See Criteria and Steps to Apply for further details).
The scholarship examination will be held at the College on Saturday 5 September 2020. Music auditions will be held at the College on Saturday 12 September 2020.
Criteria and Steps to Apply
- Candidates are to be in Year 5 and less than 12 years of age on 31 December of the examination year.
- Successful candidates must commence in Year 7 2022 and will be expected to participate fully in the musical life of the College, including performing in appropriate musical ensembles.
- Candidates portfolio must include a 300 to 500 word autobiographical essay indicating their special interests and the contribution they would make to the life of the College.
- Successful candidates will be required to take Music as an elective subject.
- The scholarship covers full or part remission of tuition fees (excluding extras) for six years. All other expenses are to be met at the full rate.
- Supporting documentation must be submitted before Wednesday 19 August 2020. Portfolios will then be reviewed, and all candidates will be contacted on Thursday 20 and Friday 21 August advising if their daughter has been selected to audition. Successful candidates should then register to sit the Academic Assessment Services examination on Saturday 5 September 2020, if they haven’t already done so. Please note registration to sit the exam closes on Friday 28 August 2020. (See Important Dates for further details).
- If your daughter is only applying for the Performance Scholarship – Music you should wait until after you have been contacted by the Music Department before registering to sit the exam.
- Candidates must have completed the following AMEB Grades or equivalent:
AMEB Grade 5 (or equivalent) or above for piano.
AMEB Grade 6 (or equivalent) or above for violin.
AMEB Grade 3 (or equivalent) or above for other string instruments, flute, clarinet and saxophone.
AMEB Grade 2 (or equivalent) or above for all other wind and brass instruments.
- Scholarships will be reviewed on an annual basis and it is the College’s expectation that students maintain their high performance levels and represent the College as and when requested.
- The College Council reserves the right to withdraw a scholarship from any scholarship holder.
Your daughter must be suitably prepared for audition. She can audition on one instrument only and will be required to play two contrasting pieces; each piece no more than five minutes in length. The audition will also include aural tests (intervals, rhythm, triads and pitch) appropriate for her grade (AMEB standard), sight reading and singing unaccompanied to a short song of her choice (appropriate examples would be Advance Australia Fair, or an English/Australian folk song or nursery rhyme).
If your daughter is applying for a Year 7 2022 Performance Scholarship – Music she must submit a portfolio which should include the following:
- autobiographical essay
- the additional form completed by you (available to download from this page)
- supporting evidence of co-curricular music and exam achievements.
Please ensure the music teacher emails their reference separately to email@example.com.
Portfolios are not returned to applicants so please provide copies of relevant documentation. Late submissions will not be accepted.
Friday 12 June 2020: Applications for 2022 Scholarships open.
Wednesday 19 August 2020: Portfolios due. Late submissions will not be accepted.
Thursday 20 and Friday 21 August 2020: Pymble Music Department will contact all candidates advising if their daughter has been selected for audition.
If your daughter is selected for audition you should then register her to sit the examination if you have not already done so.
Friday 28 August 2020: Registration closes.
Saturday 5 September 2020: Scholarship examination at the College.
Saturday 12 September 2020: Music auditions at the College.
October 2020: Interviews are conducted for selected candidates.