Our History, 1957 to 1966


12 June

Principal Miss Knox is awarded the Order of the British Empire (OBE) for services to education and for being an outstanding educationalist. The whole school celebrates her award on the Queen’s Birthday holiday.


‘Ingleholme’, Boomerang St, Turramurra, is purchased from Lady McIlrath. The former home of the Chairman Sir Martin McIlrath, along with three acres of land, is to be used for a new Junior School.


The school purchases its first filtration system for the swimming pool, funded by the RW Gillespie Trust. The first swimming carnival with the new filtration system was held in March 1960. “Every graceful stroke of swimmers could be clearly watched”.


10 February

A property known as ‘Ingleholme’ in Turramurra is opened as Presbyterian Ladies’ College Preparatory School for Girls with Miss Janet Pettit as the Mistress-In-Charge. There are 69 girls ranging in age from four to nine years. The girls would move up to the Main School at Pymble when they reached the age of 11.


The official opening of the Roland Love Gates. The ceremony is performed by Mrs Roland Love and her son, Mr Alan Love. The gates were originally part of the Royal Exchange Assurance Building in O’Connell Street, Sydney.


It is the first year the Junior School has a separate swimming carnival.


4 July

Dorothy Knox House opens with 11 classrooms for teaching biology and chemistry, including several laboratories. The Council named the building in honour of Miss Knox who was in her 27th year as Principal.


22 June

Miss Nancy Jobson, OBE, MA, Principal of the College from 1922 to 1933, passes away.


The Leaving Certificate is replaced by the School Certificate as part of Wyndham Scheme changes. Senior School now lasts for six years.


Miss Mina Wylie, Olympic swimming champion and Pymble swimming coach for 40 years, retires.